Salads are notoriously one of the best ways to lose weight fast, or cut calories. That’s not to say the meal has to be bland—in fact, when it’s done right, a salad can be just as delicious as some of the typically more fulfilling alternatives. Adding in the right amount of carbohydrates and protein is crucial to keep you full, and making your own dressing is so much better than using salty and sugary sauces found in packaged bottles. Trisara has come up with a quick home recipe to learn and devour—and what better way to kick off spring than with a light quinoa and halloumi salad?
Recipe: Quinoa and Halloumi Spring Salad
High-Protein | Fibre-Rich | High-Calcium | Vegetarian
For the salad
• 1½ cups (285g) white quinoa
• 3 cups (750ml) water
• 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 1 cup mint leaves
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 200g halloumi, cut in half
• 150g sugar snap peas, trimmed, blanched and halved
• 3 baby cucumbers (cukes), quartered
• 1 avocado, sliced
• Lemon wedges, to serve
For the yoghurt dressing
• ⅓ Cup (95g) natural greek-style (thick) yoghurt
• ½ Cup mint leaves
• ½ Cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Sea salt and cracked black pepper
• 2 x Bowls
• 1 x Large saucepan
• Food processor
• 1 x Frying pan
• 2 x Plates (for serving)
- Place the quinoa and water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and water has been absorbed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the yoghurt dressing, place the yoghurt, mint, parsley, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa, parsley, mint and half the dressing in a large bowl and toss to combine. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the halloumi and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Remove from heat and slice.
- Divide the quinoa, sugar snap peas, baby cucumber, avocado and remaining dressing between the plates. Top with the halloumi and serve with lemon wedges. Serves 2.