Salads are often stuck as the sideshow. Not quite filling or jazzy enough to ever really take centre-stage, salads are often relegated to the ‘light lunch’ side of things. COMO Shambhala’s Big Raw Salad isn’t like the other salads though. Nutrient-packed, this salad is as much a feast for the eyes as the belly. The rainbow of colours on the plate are a testament to the vitamin and mineral diversity of its ingredients, and for anyone trying to keep their diet in check over the summer months (garden parties, beach barbecues, family holidays… we all know the drill) then this is going to be your new favourite meal morning, noon and night. While you’d usually have to wait until you check into COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali to try out this delicious dish, we have the recipe right here for you to try at home—so what are you waiting for?
Recipe: Big Raw Salad
Vitamin-Rich | Mineral-Rich | Antioxidant-Rich | Digestive Support | Rejuvenating | Raw | Vegan
For the salad
- 160g/5½oz Shredded red cabbage
- 160g/5½oz Shredded Chinese white cabbage
- ¼ Red onion, sliced
- 1 Courgette, cut into ‘spaghetti’ or Julienne
- 240g/8½oz Peeled butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into ‘spaghetti’ or Julienne
- 7.5g/¼oz Flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Baby gem lettuce (base removed) and cut into 3cm/1 inch lengths
- ½ Telegraph cucumber, cut into half lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 4 Large cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 4 Stems of broccolini, trimmed and base peeled
- 1 Avocado, peeled stoned and quartered
- ½ Large beetroot, peeled, cut into ‘spaghetti’ or sliced Julienne
For the dressing
- 2cm Piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 60ml Raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Clove of garlic, grated
- 1 Teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of tamari soy
- 2 Tablespoons of raw honey
- 125ml Extra virgin olive oil
For serving (set aside for later)
- 4 Large button mushrooms, peeled thinly sliced
- 30g/1½oz Alfalfa sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons of hemp seeds or chia seeds
- 2x Large salad bowls
- 4 bowls for serving
- Spiraliser or chopping knife
- For the raw salad, mix the cabbages and onion in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the zucchini, pumpkin and parsley.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 bowls and cover with the cabbage mixture and then the pumpkin and zucchini mix.
- Top with a layer of the cucumber, tomatoes, broccolini and avocado, then finish with a tangle of beetroot.
- For the rainbow dressing, whisk the ginger, vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, tamari and honey in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until combined.
- To serve, scatter over the sliced mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts and hemp seeds, placing the rainbow slaw dressing on the side.